Having only just begun my plan to hike all of Connecticut’s trails (2007), I quickly came to realize that, for some reason, Nutmeggers like to leave their old cars to rot out in the woods. Often, I scratch my head and wonder how the heck they got them there in the first place. And so, here’s my ode to these rusted out hunks of junk found in the middle of nowhere.
1. Salmon River Trail, mile 3.5, Colchester
massive mid-70’s sedan
2. Metacomet Trail, just north of Shuttle Meadow Road, Plainville
Car door with smiley face
3. Tunxis Trail (Compounce Ridge), 2 miles in from Bristol end
Early 80’s station wagon
4. Tunxis Trail (Compounce Ridge), 2 miles in from Bristol end
Not quite sure
5. Tunxis Trail (White Dot), Along Blueberry Hill Rd, Harwinton
Old Ford Fairlane?
6. Mattabesett Trail, North side of Lamentation Mountain, East Berlin
I’ll say it’s a Trabant, since it’s in East Berlin
7. Mattabesett Trail, North side of Lamentation Mountain, Middletown
Old station wagon of some sort
8. Mattabesett Trail, North side of Lamentation Mountain, Middletown
Ford Falcon, childhood car of CTMQ
9. Mattabesett Trail, Mid Beseck Ridge, Wallingford
Upside down 80’s sportscar!
10. Mattabesett Trail, Mid Beseck Ridge, Wallingford
11. Mattabesett Trail, Along Nedobity Road, Haddam
Two old VW bugs, neither of which look “alive”
12. Mattabesett Trail, at Bear Hill Loop’s westernmost junction, Middletown
This is enough of a car to call it a CARcass.
13. Bear Hill Loop, just south of the westernmost Mattabesett junction, Middletown
One of the more intact specimens I’ve seen
14. Eddy Loop, McLean Game Refuge, along Firetown Road, Granby
15. Eddy Loop, McLean Game Refuge, along Firetown Road, Granby
Old snowplow thing
16. Paugussett Trail, just off of train tracks
17. Old Woods Road near Ragged Mountain Trail
18. Old Woods Road near Ragged Mountain Trail
Ugly racist car
19. Woods road crosses Pomperaug Trail, Oxford
The Mystery Machine has been found
20. Woods Hollister and Whitehouse Family Nature Preserves Trail, Glastonbury
A Jeep. Barely.
21. Martha Brower Sanctuary, Burlington (2)
22. Found Land, Avon