This Page Needs More Prominence!
Highpointing & Peakbagging
Don’t tell anyone, but this is perhaps my favorite pursuit. Moreso than museums. If I had the time, I’d devote a lot of time to these lists. As life would have it, what with two little kids and a job and all that, these are pretty much life-long pursuits. But I’m okay with that.
Special note 1: My subtitle above is one of my favorites on this entire site.
Special note 2: As with everything on CTMQ, no matter what I’ve done in my life, these lists began anew for me in 2002 when I started doing this stuff with my future wife. It just makes sense to me for some reason.
Links take you to the intro/explanation pages for each list
- Connecticut Highpoint: Mt. Frissell
- CT’s 10 Highest Peaks
- CT County Highpoints
- CT’s Geographic Extremes
… And Beyond
- 50 State Highpoints Project – Every state has a highest point to climb!
- New England’s Hundred Highest Peaks (NEHH) – This difficult to attain list includes all of the 4000 footers plus 33 more.
- Adirondack 46’ers (ADK46) – The 46 major peaks in the ADK’s. Not all have trails but hey, one is named Nippletop.
- Catskills 3500 Club (CAT35) – 35 peaks all above 3500 feet. And not too far away; though several are trail-less.
If I am able to complete the three lists above, I’ll also have completed the following:
- New Hampshire 48 (NH48) – The 4,000 footers in New Hampshire
- New England 67 (NE67)- The 4,000 footers in New England.
- Northeast 111 (NE111) – All 111 peaks (plus 4 historical screw-ups) in New York and New England over 4,000 feet.
Let’s throw a few more in for fun:
- 52 With a View (52WAV) – 52 peaks in NH under 4,000 feet with great views
- Terrifying 25 (T25) – White Mountain trails with slides and scrambles
- New England Fifty Finest (NEFF) – Captures the 51 summits with the highest topographic prominence in the region. And my friend Cumulus REALLY likes this one, so this is for him.
There are a bunch more in the region – especially in the Adirondacks. This facebook group does a great job of keeping track.