Harkness Memorial State Park
Hark! The Harknesses left their fingerprints all over Connecticut, from their former home in Waterford to the Yale campus. Originally from Ohio, Edward S. Harkness was to become heir to a fortune initiated by his father’s substantial investments in John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil. Instilled at an early age with an ardent love for his fellow man and a feeling of responsibility for the wise and just use of the wealth at his command, Mr. Harkness was to bestow over two hundred million dollars upon wide-ranging philanthropies.
The mansion was purchased in 1907 by Edward and Mary Harkness. From 1918 to 1929, extensive work was done to the grounds by noted landscape designer Beatrix Jones Farrand (one of the founders of the American Society of Landscape Architects). The estate was left to the State of Connecticut in 1950 and became part of the State Park system in 1952.
All Things Harkness Memorial State Park
Eolia (Harkness Mansion)
Harkness Memorial Gardens
Camp Harkness State Park
Dr. William A. Niering NAP
DEEP’s Harkness Memorial State Park Info
CTMQ’s State Parks, Reserves, Preserves, & Forests
Leave a Reply