Shenipsit State Forest
Ellington, Somers, and Stafford
Shenipsit State Forest began in 1927 with the purchase of land at the summit of Soapstone Mountain in Somers to erect a fire tower to keep a lookout over the forests of the eastern woodlands. Over time, additional acreage was purchased to form the sprawling 7,078 acres state forest we have today in Ellington, Somers and Stafford. There are a few highlights up here, namely the Soapstone Mountain tower and the CCC Museum. The state has invested in a new tower and it’s quite nice, the only one of its kind east of the Connecticut River in the state. The museum is fairly interesting too.
In 1935 CCC Camp Conner was established at the present site of the Shenipsit Forest Headquarters and CCC Museum. The Museum is located in the only remaining CCC barracks building in the State and pays homage to the dedicated men who worked in Connecticut camps. The museum features a large collection of tools, equipment, photographs, and memorabilia from the former “Camp Conner” and 21 other camps in the State.
All Things Shenipsit State Forest
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) Museum
CFPA Shenipsit Trail Section 5: Hopkins Road to Old Country Road
CFPA Shenipsit Trail Section 6: Old Country Road to Greaves Road
Other Shenipsit State Forest Trails
Soapstone Mountain Tower