This is DEEP, Man (Again)
Connecticut State Parks “The Sky’s the Limit” 2016 Hiking Challenge
Back again for another year! Fortunately for you, you don’t have to read any longwinded introduction this year! For that, all you have to do is read what I wrote about the inaugural year’s challenge here.
The DEEP even asked me to do a bit on WFSB about the 2015 Challenge. So I did. I felt totally awkward, but it’s something I love talking about, so I have no issue with how it turned out.
Damian and I successfully completed all 14 Challenge climbs last year (and little Calvin joined us for 11 of them). Please read my TSTL Afterword from 2015. It’s pretty good.
We didn’t win the hiking staffs that 50 completers (of 234 in total who did all 14) so I guess we’ll just have to go for it again this year. Maybe Calvin will get all 14 too… though I’m not sure (I’m writing this in February, so give me a break).
More importantly, here’s the DEEP page with the 2016 Challenge parks and maps. And as if that weren’t enough, here’s some more DEEP info on the challenge parks and hikes. This year’s theme is “bodies of water.”
In 2015, I’d been to almost all the points before the challenge. This year, I’ve only been to half of them, so that makes it a bit more exciting for me. Also, the DEEP chose a bunch of parks that are relatively unknown and far-flung. After all Mianus in Stamford to the CTMARI Tri-point in Thompson is literally as far away as you can get in our little state.
And that’s great.
Our 2016 Sky’s the Limit Challenge Hikes
1. Dinosaur State Park, Rocky Hill, February 20
2. Collis P. Huntington State Park, Redding, February 27
3. Burr Pond State Park, Torrington, March 6
4. American Legion State Forest, Barkhamsted, March 13
5. Mansfield Hollow State Park, Windham/Mansfield, March 19
6. Black Rock State Park, Watertown, May 15
7. James L. Goodwin Forest, Hampton, June 26
8. Windsor Locks Canal Trail State Park, Windsor Locks/Suffield, July 3
9. Squantz Pond State Park, New Fairfield, August 30
10. Millers Pond State Park, Duham/Haddam, September 4
11. Mianus River State Park, Stamford, October 2
12. Air Line State Park Trail (CTMARI Tri-point), Thompson, October 16
13. Devil’s Hopyard State Park, East Haddam, October 23
14. Bluff Point State Park & Coastal Reserve, Groton, October 30